Monday, January 25, 2010

Decision.

Thanks for your comments people.
   Melissa I'm not at all offended by your enjoyment of the HoneyDawn craziness. I wanted to inform and amuse at the same time. It's healthy to laugh at some things and I'd love to finish the story. I feel reluctant about rehashing my past life in a serious way. HoneyDawn let me revisit some things without wallowing!  
   Mavis, I'm not sure about your question about leaving. What I meant to say about the problems of leaving, are that leaving Mormon Fundamentalism is not like being a Baptist and deciding to become a Presbyterian - in the theology of the religion it means that having had the truth and rejecting it, you have done almost the worst possible thing you could do.  Mavis said
 "This is a universal problem that we all face. That is, nobody really wants to walk away from what they have, for fear it may be the only thing they will ever have. But what do you do, when you sense something is not right?"
   You are right, it is difficult to leave any situation, even a bad one, as most people don't like change and have a fear of the unknown. You said "But what do you do, when you sense something is not right?" For me, I had to act on that feeling. If I didn't, I would be living a lie. It was not only my own life that was affected, but I was concerned about being a role model to young women for something that I believe is not beneficial to them.
   When you leave something behind, especially a relationship, you do take the risk of being alone, but being alone is not the end of the world, although it may feel that way for a while.
   I still prefer not to state which branch of Fundamentalism I belonged to. I have relatives there and would like to keep the channels open with them. I will say though, that I am not FLDS. I couldn't bring myself to satirize some of what has been happening in the Texas community - it's too horrible.
   You know, I love to read. If I am in the middle of a good book and somehow misplace it, I feel very frustrated until I find it again and am able to finish the story. In deference to those enjoying the story, I think I may continue to the end. Perhaps we should even have some sympathy for HoneyDawn! She has somewhat morphed into a life of her own. Is she aware of what she is doing? Even I am not certain of the answer to that. Certainly she is in a world of her own, unable to see her human weaknesses, and convinced of her own (and Pratt's!) righteousness!
   So, apologies to those who had enough of HoneyDawn! Just remember that you will be hearing from me within the narrative. If you have questions I will try to work them in somehow. If not within the story, then maybe in the comments section as Harmonee!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for your explanations and giving them to us in your own voice.

And thankyou very much for keeping HoneyDawn alive. I await the next installment of her exploits eagerly, and promise I will try not to pull you too far off your storyline with my constant questions.

I agree that there could be a book in HoneyDawn, maybe one co authored with Harmonee.

Melissa xx

Anonymous said...

Could you please address the issue of how your marriage was arranged ?
Did you exercise any degree of free will in the decision making process?
Do you think that the majority of women living in polygamy are happy with their situation ?

An Anonymous MD

HoneyDawn said...

Melissa - I love getting your questions! Please don't stop. They have often given me inspiration about what to write. Keep on asking.

Anonymous MD. No arranged marriages where I came from, and I was a first wife.

HoneyDawn said...

Annonymous MD I should also answer the question about women being happy. That's really hard to say. Its difficult to speak for others, but I think that for most women I knew it was a terrible struggle. Given a free choice - and that means knowing you coulld make it to be with God without living polygamy, I'm pretty certain that the majority would choose to have a husband of their own.

Anonymous said...

Honey Dawn, (or shall I call you Harmonee?)
Your feelings regarding polygamy and its effect on women, children, and men is supported by the medical literature. People in polygynous relationships have adverse mental and physical health outcomes.
I will post a link to a recent research study on the topic.
Regards,
Susan the MD

Anonymous said...

Here is a link to a recent study in Malaysia on the effect of polygamy on women, men, and children. Polygamy is legal in Malaysia.

http://bit.ly/6vx3tC

Susan the MD

Creative Commons License
Almost Heaven by HoneyDawn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.