Saturday, January 23, 2010

Spoof or not?

Perhaps I should begin with thanks to those of you who have had the patience and endurance to keep plowing through the innumerable deliberate spelling mistakes and grammatical gaffes of the HoneyDawn blog! Was it a spoof? The answer is both yes, and no. Thank you to those who played along with the joke. It was fun, and also therapeutic for me. I really was a "polygamy gal". After leaving my polygamous community I had no wish to go into victim mode. Instead I decided to process my experiences and the experiences of other plural wives through this very silly blog. HoneyDawn, although amusing to some extent, was in fact a malicious and manipulating woman who caused a great deal of harm to the women whose lives she impacted. And yes Melissa, I do know the meaning of Pratt in Australia - the choice of name was deliberate! I chose to try to laugh at some people rather than being eaten up with anger at some of the harm that had been done and was still being done by them to people close to me. I chose to portray the idiocy of some of the practice and beliefs.


The saying goes that "truth is stranger than fiction". Although I am aware that many will find this hard to believe, the majority of what I have written is based on actual occurrences - things that happened either to me or women I have known. The camping trip really happened - the honey left outside the tent did not! (I had actually fantasized about tying a steak to HoneyDawn's tent!) Even the insane "Lizard people" theory was actually proposed to me when I went to dinner with a rather sweet couple one evening. It was hard to keep a straight face and nod politely as they seriously told me about it.

Some of what I wrote made me cringe - in particular the beliefs about African Americans. The comment about Martin Luther King as "Martin Lucifer King" is appalling, but I really did hear that expression from one of the "bretheren" and it appalled me then as it does now. I hate writing some things but felt compelled to do so to paint an accurate picture.

I have tried to be absolutely accurate about the doctrines of Mormonism and Fundamentalist Mormonism. None of that is made up. The only fantasy is the actual day to day occurrences in the family upon which I hung all the crazy things I heard and was taught over a long period of time.

Harmonee, dear Harmonee has been my own voice throughout. She is a mixture of myself and another questioning woman in a plural situation.

16 comments:

Alison said...

OMG! I LOOOVE YOU! I was thinking to myself that this blog HAD to be made up since it was just too atrocious, but then I got too caught up with your spelling errors (it's one of my pet peeves) and left a couple of scathing comments. Please continue to keep writing about your experiences, even though your secret's out. I would love to hear more about this world from your insider's perspective.

catwhisperer said...

Glad that you escaped, and that you are in good spirits, and well. Continue to share with us your experiences, I am enjoying it.

Rebeckah said...

Thank you for bringing us HoneyDawn. Sometimes people learn more effectively through fiction than fact. I learned most of my solar system facts and quite a bit of physics from science fiction stories and I've learned quite a bit of history from various romances, so the fact that you were parodying doesn't mean anything bad in my book. I think we all knew you weren't really HoneyDawn. ;)

Please, don't be a stranger. Maybe Harmonee could write some stuff for us now? You have educated many and I'd hate to lose you now!

Rebeckah said...

A PS -- why did you decide to reveal all now? Surely you have a lot more material to share? Was this just depressing you?

Regardless, thanks again, I enjoyed the ride!

Anonymous said...

HoneyDawn,
I figured it was a spoof, but I also figured there was truth in it... the relationships written about had a ring of truth.
Congratulations on being a survivor and bringing your voice to this issue

hellohellogoodbye

Stamp said...

OK

You made me cry!

Love ya!

Stamp

HoneyDawn said...

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I became quite attached to some of the regular commenters - especially those who obviously knew this was a parody! I will probably write a few more posts and try to answer some questions if you have some.
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, of course it was a parody. My first thought was that it was a rabid mormon hater but after a reading several posts and realizing mormon polygamy was being spoofed rather lightly, I took it that "honey" was either an ex-plural who resented the lifestyle but wasn't a fanatical hater or someone very close to a plural family. I have to admit some of the stories were quite funny and even plausible.
"honey's" experience is more proof that if you don't like doing the polygamy thang, you can always get out without fear of goons coming to kidnap you or be left 6 feet under.
BTW, what sect were you in?
duane

Anonymous said...

If the camping trip was real, what happen to the little baby that fell in the fire? That has always bothered me.

Long Time Reader, First Time Commenting

Chatelaine said...

Knew it all along.
Respecting and admiring you.
Feel free to continue to publish your story, I am enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

Knew it all along, but appreciated your sense of humor. God Bless,
An Anonymous MD

Keeping Sweet said...

Keep Sweet now, Honey Dawn!
Continue to tell the tale of your life.

demoiselle said...

Love your stories, don't stop writing, I need my Honey Dawn fix every day.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad this blog has served it's thereputic purpose for you and i hope my endless questioning never drew you too far from the path you wanted to pursue with it.

Just curious, why did you decide to come clean right now?

Please keep writing! I have come to really enjoy my Almost Heaven fix, and find myself wondering "What happens next" in much the same way people do with soap operas.

And you never did post a copy of Poly Pre Teen!

Thanks for many laughs,

Melissa xx

HoneyDawn said...

Anonymous said...
If the camping trip was real, what happen to the little baby that fell in the fire? That has always bothered me.
Long Time Reader, First Time Commenting
January 23, 2010 6:00 PM
-----------------------------------
Long time reader, thank you for your concern. The child in question is fine and healed extremely well - no marks from the burns, thank goodness.

Anon E Mouse said...

Ah HoneyDawn, my hat's off to you.

I think the reason I liked playing along was because although I believe Joseph Smith was a fraud, polygamy is wrong, and Warren Smith and his ilk are misogynist abusers, that doesn't mean all people in polygamist communities are frauds and abusers.

Thanks for bringing a sense of humor, however wonky and silly, to this serious situation.

Creative Commons License
Almost Heaven by HoneyDawn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.